Are you looking for a healthy and nutrient-rich diet for your dinner? Probably yes. You are at the very right place. Adding vegetables to your meal can provide you the necessary nutrients that you need for healthy living.
Most vegetables are low in fat and calories. They are an essential source of many nutrients like potassium, dietary fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. These nutrients make a person healthy and prevent chronic diseases like heart, lungs, kidney & diabetes many others.
Following are the ten cheap and easy-to-cook recipes for your dinner if eating meat is just not your thing:
1. Satay Noodle Soup
Soup is considered as a starter in a diet. Let’s make it for your starving belly.
· 1 tbsp. soy sauce, plus extra to serve
· 2 tbsp. peanut butter
· One small lime, zested and juiced
· 1 tbsp. sesame oil, plus extra to serve
· Two spring onions, sliced diagonally
· One red chili, thinly sliced
· 25g creamed coconut
· One nest dried rice noodles
· One large carrot, cut into long ribbons with a vegetable peeler
First of all, mix the soy, peanut butter, lime zest, and juice. Then, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add 1/2 the spring onions, 1/2 the spring chili, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook it for about 3 minutes.
Pour in 450ml water. Bring it to the boil. Then crumble in the coconut. Mix it properly to dissolve. Now spoon in the peanut butter mixture. Mix well, drop in the noodles and 1/2 carrot ribbons, and cook for 5 mins.
Season to taste, spoon into a bowl and top with the remaining spring onion, chili and carrot ribbons. Drizzle over extra sesame oil or soy.
2. Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
· One large mushroom
· Half an Onion
· Half a tomato
· Green, Red & Yellow peppers (one piece of each)
First, prepare roasted pepper sauce by putting mushrooms and pepper in an oiled baking tray and cook on gas for 15-20 mins.
After making your pasta, drain it and add the ready-made pasta sauce and vegetables, or you can add chopped tomatoes heated with fried garlic, salt, pepper, and chili (if you’re feeling spicy).
3. Wheat-free Vegetable Lasagna
· Ingredients for a stir-fry, e.g., onion, garlic, tomato, courgette, mushrooms, seafood (optional)
· Crème Fraiche
· Cheese, thinly sliced
Turn on the grill. Slice the vegetables thinly and stir-fry, with seafood if used. Remove it from heat, and allow to cool. Season to taste. Stir in crème Fraiche, cover with sliced cheese and brown under the grill. The meal is ready.
4. Confetti Quinoa
· 2 cups of water
· 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
· 1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli
· 1/2 cup coarsely chopped zucchini
· 1/4 cup shredded carrots
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 1 tbsp. lemon juice
· 1 tbsp. olive oil
Boil water in a large saucepan. Add the next five ingredients. Reduce heat; simmer, covered until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Add lemon juice and oil while stirring it. Remove from heat, and the meal is ready to serve.
5. Roasted Greek Potatoes with Feta Cheese
This dish is considered to be a side dish for grilled chicken or steak.
· 2/3 cup water
· 1/2 cup olive oil
· 3 tbsp. lemon juice
· Four garlic cloves, minced
· 2 tsp dried oregano
· 1 tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp pepper
· 3 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes (about six medium), each cut into eight wedges
· 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 450o. Add the first seven ingredients in a bowl separately to make a mixture. Arrange potatoes evenly in a pan and pour the mixture on it.
Roast it for 40-50 mins until the color of potatoes becomes golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese at the end, and the meal is ready to serve.
6. Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl
· 1 cup bulgur
· 1/2 cup tsp ground cumin
· 1/4 tsp salt
· One can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
· 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
· 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
· One small red onion halved and thinly sliced
· 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
· 1/4 cup hummus
· 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
· 2 tbsp. lemon juice
Combine the first four ingredients and boil them in a stockpot. Reduce heat; simmer, until tender, 10-12 mins. Stir in garbanzo beans; heat through.
Remove heat and stir in spinach. Let it covered until spinach is wilted, about 5 mins. Add the remaining ingredients while mixing. It can be served warm or refrigerate for cold according to desire and taste.
7. Italian Veggie Hoagies
Like to eat fast food but no very fond of meat? No Problem. Here, you can have veg sub rolls that are easy to make and cheap as well.
· 1 cup chopped jarred giardiniera
· 1 cup mayonnaise
· Four soft Italian sub rolls, split
· Four large tomatoes sliced 1/2 inch thick
· Kosher salt
· One head of iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded
· Freshly ground black pepper
· Olive oil (for drizzling)
Take a small bowl and mix giardiniera into mayonnaise in it. Spread this mixture over the bottom half of each roll. Top each with a tomato slice; season with salt.
Layer on a thick tuft of shredded lettuce; season lettuce with salt, pepper, and a splash of reserved giardiniera brine (about 1 tbsp. per sandwich). Drizzle with oil.
8. Vegetable Fried Rice
The cheap and quick way to have your dinner meal is to prepare vegetable fried rice.
· 3 cups of water
· 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
· 2 tbsp. peanut oil
· One small yellow onion, chopped
· One small green bell pepper, chopped
· 1 tsp minced garlic
· 1 cup frozen petite peas
Boil water in a saucepan and add rice. Let it be on a medium flame for 20 mins. Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet. Add onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
Increase the flame to medium-high and stir in cooked rice and green onions. Add peas and cook 1 min more. Remove from heat. Garnish with peanuts, if required.
9. Jeweled Endive Salad
Want to have low fat and calorie dinner, salad is the best option. We will learn to prepare a delicious salad.
· One bunch watercress (4 ounces)
· Two heads endive, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
· 1 cup pomegranate seeds
· One shallot, thinly sliced
· 1/3 cup olive oil
· 3 tbsp. lemon juice
· 2 tsp grated lemon zest
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1/8 tsp pepper
Take a large bowl and combine watercress, endive, pomegranate seeds, and shallot. Then, in a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat.
10.Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes
Last but not least, a meal cannot be completed without dessert. We make pancakes for our meal at night.
· 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. flour
· 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
· 3/4 tsp. baking soda
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· Two eggs
· 2 tbsp. oil
· 1 cup milk
· 1 tbsp. molasses
· 1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
Add the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add eggs after whisking and then oil, milk, and molasses in another bowl. Add the wet to the dry and stir well. Stir in the zucchini and mix until combined.
Drop by 1/3 cup measure on a medium flame, well-greased frying pan. Flip when the batter is set, and the edges lose their wet look. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Drizzle with maple syrup.